Sunday 19 May 2019

G3JVL

I was sorry to receive the news that Mike, G3JVL, has passed away.
I first met Mike back in the 1970s at the Crawley Court, Winchester, Microwave Round tables.
Subsequently, I joined the RSGB Microwave Committe back in the 1980s and Mike was afellow member.
We had a lot of dialogue during those years, Mike made me a 2.3GHz quad loop yagi that I used for many years and then in the 1990s I visited with him and saw his home station. From that I was loaned a small (2.5W) TWTA that I used in my home 3cm station. I had never seen a TWTA with only three (or was it 4?) connections previously. Mike showed me how to use it and I had many long distance QSOs on 3cm,  not only with Mike, but also with many of the other 10GHz narrowband home and portable stations that were around during the 1990s.
I later met Mike, again, when we were both attending the Plano, Texas, Microwave update. I think that was around 2000. Mike was visiting with his daughter who, I recall, lived local in the Plano area of Texas. 
I don’t think I ever saw Mike again. I am sure he continued active to be active on the bands,  but our paths never crossed again. Ioften wondered what he was up to.
I guess I will never know,  now.

Vale Mike.








No comments:

Post a Comment