Saturday 29 December 2012

472kHz

Having registered for and downloaded my 472kHz band NoV I am currently looking for parts to use on this MF band when it opens for 'service' on the 1January.
I had originally planned to use a G3XBM transmit converter with my FT817. I have ordered a pack of ten 3.2MHz crystals on EBAY. However, they have not yet appeared, probably due to the Christmas post backlog.

In the meantime I have been looking at alternative methods of accessing the band, including transverting ( both transmit and receive) using my K3 which will not receive directly on 472kHz due to not having the wideband RF bandpass filter fitted. I am still considering this approach.

Meanwhile I have been fortunate to obtain a 50W RF output, Class B, switching FET power amplifier. This was originally designed for use at 470kHz! Its high gain means it can be driven direcly from a mixer output.

It would have been fairly easy to make a switching MOSFET amplifier, but as I am only dabbling at this stage and have lots of other projects on the go, I wanted to minimise the amount of building I would need to do.




I am still learning a lot about antennas at MF and what may and may not work.

Sam




Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment