Monday, 30 May 2016

Cold Bank Holiday

So far it has been a very dull and chilly Bank Holiday Monday, so I've been using the time to catch up on some writing. I have two Conference papers to write with both of their deadlines looming in the next week.

In addition to those I have an equipment review to write for Radcom, so what am I doing writing this blog as well?  Good question, but whilst the words were flowing seemed like a good time to put something onto the blog about the new rig.

The new IC7300 has been working out well, with a number of new locators and DXCC worked on both 6 amd 4m since Saturday. I've also been thinking about how to add a sutable transverter interface to the 7300 so that I can use it to access other bands.

The touch screen spectrum display is a pleasure to use. That doesn't mean it's perfect, by any means, but it is a big improvement over some other implementations and I think in ICOM's next SDR transceiver it will be even better.

One of the shortcomings of the touch display is that when you select the signal you want to listen to it brings up a static, magnified, view of the spectrum around the signal. You then need to touch the screen again to select the signal. I find I cannot touch the right spot to tune accurately to the signal without then having to use the tuning knob to tune it in accurately. I am sure that with the power of modern DSP processors it should be possible to do this automatically. Of course you would then probably need a 'defeat' facility in the event you wanted to select a weak signal next to a strong one!
One other observation is that there is no 70MHz band 'button' necessitating a frequency input, which means several button presss to go to, e.g. 70.2 input
You quickly get used to this, but a 4m band button would be nice, please, Mr ICOM
More anon.
Sam


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your article and for giving us the chance to read it. It is very helpful and encouraging. Visit my site too.

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete