Wednesday, 4 March 2015

EME mount

It was warm enough today (10C) that I could move the pallet mount to its new position in the middle of the lawn.
This is the same mount I was using several years ago for 23 through 6cm EME. 

After considerable discussion with G3WDG I have decided to go with linear polarisation on 3cm, so I can use my Chaparral feed, which is well suited to my KTI prime focus dish. It is easy to change from vertical to horizontal polarisation with the way I have arranged the focus box in the cage.

I have been promised a potent SSPA but I'm still waiting for the DL/PA0 LNA.  In the meantime I will probably try my Octagon LNB-based LNA in front of the frequency-locked DB6NT G3 transverter.

The biggest challenge is still going to be tracking and I'm going to try a simple system used by both G3WDG and G3LTF. This system combines moon noise tracking with a tweakable auto tracking arrangement. The Spid RAS tracking system will be uncoupled and used only for approximate position indicating when on 3cm.

A remote digital inclinometer gives absolute moon elevation as a back up and confidence booster.

I hope to re-install the 23 and 13cm system on the dish in due course.



The moon can be seen in the eastern sky to the right of the Spid RAS positioned.




No comments:

Post a Comment