Tuesday, 17 March 2015

EME dish drive again

Ignoring the big aurora allegedly in progress, I worked on my EME dish mount this afternoon. Auroras come and go, but good weather is rarer!!!
It never ceases to amaze me how much you can forget after just two years out of service. However, the Spid RAS motors and encoders have been wired up and seem to be doing all the right things. 
I did a rough calibration of AZ and EL, using the sun's known position ( from VK3UM EME planner) and then eventually remembered how the controller was connected, and to which COM port, on the shack desktop. With this I can use Moonsked to track various celestial noise sources, the strongest of which is the sun, of course.
Right now the dish mounting hub ( no dish in place yet) is following the sun and I can see which trees are going to require a severe pruning in the next few days!
My 'Lidl' digital inclinometer is reading out the actual elevation since the +/-1 degree resolution of the Spid encoder system is inadequate for tracking the moon with my 2.3m diameter dish at anything higher than 13cm.  Above 13cm it becomes practical, with this size dish and a decent LNA, to track on moon noise.
Altogether, I am pleased with today's progress.
Sam


No comments:

Post a Comment