Monday, 17 November 2014

ISCAT-A

ISCAT-A beacon signals successfully decoded from G4JNT's personal beacon on 2300.350 this afternoon. Once Andy turned the beacon antennas roughly towards me decodes started quite regularly. As London Heathrow is pretty much on this path I assume it was principally aircraft into and out of the airport that were responsible.))))))
I am very impressed by ISCAT-A for aircraft reflection compared to JT65C at 2300MHz.
Generally, if you hear the reflection burst, you can expect to have a decode. When ISCAT-A reports below about -20dB decodes are less reliable, although more testing is required. In a large number of decoded frames the number of erroneous decodes was seen to be less than a dozen or so over a three hour period.

I am now turning my attention to enabling the PA switching to work with the preamplifier box so I can try a two-way QSO on the new band. You need to be very careful with sequencing when switching 250W at 2.3GHz on a single coaxial cable with connection to a very low noise preamp!

Sam




No comments:

Post a Comment