Saturday, 21 December 2013

Visitors

Yesterday (Friday) I had a visit from SM7EYW and SM7GEP.
Tor and Hakan are on a short visit to the UK and had asked if I was a available for a visit.
It was my delight to show them the G4DDK station and discuss what I would be doing to the station, come the better weather, including an enforced move of the EME dish ( to a better location near the bottom of the garden).

I was able to show them both a little of the local area. It was fascination to hear that Tor has been interested in the radio pirate stations that were so prevalent in the southern North Sea back in the 1960s. He was a mine of information about the pirates and he was pleased to have Sealand (Roughs Tower) pointed out as well as seeing where Radio Caroline was moored, all those years ago!

It was listening to Radio Caroline all those years ago that initially got me interested in radio. I was fascinated to hear the changes in signal level as day progressed to night. And I enjoyed the rock music, of course.

The receiver was an old valve set, whose make I forget, but I think it was a Bush. This was installed in our outside coal house and shed, that later became my first shack. That QTH was near Ascot in Berkshire.

I've known Tor for several years, from meetings in Friedrichschafen and elsewhere. I think this is the first time I had met Hakan in person although we have worked on the higher bands (23cm and maybe higher -need to check my log!)

Tor is, of course, a member of the Moglarp contest group, located in Southern Sweden, who I have worked on many occasions.

After lunch it was time for Tor and Hakan to go and visit G3XDY, in Ipswich.

Hopefully, we will meet up again on Monday, before they travel back to London and then home.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Sam





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment