Thursday, 31 October 2013

Hacked

It seems that my e-mail was hacked on Thursday evening and my contact address list stolen. Just about everyone on the list was then e-mailed by the hacker with a sob story that I was mugged or something in Manila and needed money. I sincerely hope none of you were taken in by this very common scam?
I must have seen it at least six times in the last two years. The wording in the e-mail should have been a real give away. It was clearly not written by a native English speaker. It is too flowery and imprecise.

The first thing these hackers do when they get access to your account is change your own password so that you can't get back into your mail and make your own changes. You must contact your own ISP and get them to clear the hack. You can then change the password.
However, it may not end there. I was informed that some of my messages were being forwarded to the hacker. What had happened was that they had gone into the personal security area of my account and substituted another e-mail address in place of the second account you have previously entered. From this point on any messages received from the ISP will be copied to the hacker! Clever.......
Make sure you also run a virus checker over your PC or WHY and look for Trojans or key loggers that might have been embedded in your system.
I have also changed my passwords on all my accounts and groups
and even more than once on my e-mail.

Don't EVER click on a link in an e-mail, however innocent it may appear.......

I have no idea if I have really cleared the hacker out of my system, but since doing all this I have been constantly bombard with more phishing e-mails and realistic looking postings 'from' BT to upgrade my e-mail client etc. it all looks like someone trying to find their way back in. Needless to say I am even more wary of anything received that looks out of the ordinary. I'm not sure whether being without internet access for 52 hours after the storm has helped or not.

Sam




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment